Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 4/2/2004 4:04:05 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/20/2008 9:20:56 AM
I know some of you have expressed your liking to the Winglock calls. I have a ton of goose calls, but am always looking for another one. In your opinion, which short reed Winglock call is the best (delrin, walnut, hybrid etc)? How about usability?

Also, I've heard they have good customer service and Rick Perry told me that if I didn't like the call, I could send it back and either get a new one or get my money returned. What has your experience been like? Thanks.

It's all about the experience.
Post #464262
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 4/3/2004 12:41:09 AM

I love my Big River and it's my go to call, but I'm always looking for something to give me an extra edge. Plus, I like trying different calls. Some guys say you can never have enough knives. I'm kind of like that with calls. I usually carry three goose calls on my lanyard, even though I mainly use the Big River. I have 4 calls on my duck lanyard. I think you can get a different sound from every call, so each is unique in its own right and can be utlilized in different situations. Overall, I guess I just like calls.

Post #495808
 Posted 4/5/2004 2:47:22 PM

I agree. Learning how to blow a couple calls to perfection is the way to go. That way you are confident in the call and your abilities. I've had my Big River for several years and I know all the little tricks to make the call sound good. I just heard good things about the Winglock calls and was wondering what others thought of them.

Post #495874
 Posted 4/6/2004 3:57:34 PM

I love my walnut winglock, but the acrylic is a sweet call.

Jerry
"Hit 'em wit da highball"
Post #495924
 Posted 4/7/2004 12:59:20 AM

I tried the trick with the hose awhile back. It worked, but it seemed a bit a bit bulky for me. As for the Winglock, when I talked to Rick Perry, he said if I didn't like the call I could send it back within a few weeks and he would refund my money, re-tune the call, or exchange it for a different style of call. So he must be pretty confident in his calls.

As for Foiles, I've heard good things, but I don't know that I want to drop $100+ on a call.

Post #495950
 Posted 4/7/2004 7:58:08 AM

MN,If the guy is offering a refund,You really have nothing to loose as far as the Rick Perry call is concerened he must be pretty confident in his calls to offer a cash refund! I wish Cabelas did that. Calls are getting expensive we should be allowed to test drive em but according to Cabelas..they cant because of Sanitary purposes I can semi agree with that but I think the disclaimer is directed more towards the ones that cant effectively use a call.Anyway if you want an addition to the Big River,Go with the Foiles,You will have all the call you will ever need!!!with that combo.
One tip I learned to enhance the Big River Get about a foot of Vacume Hose and tape it to the buisness side (exit) of the Big River You will be amazed with the sounds the call can generate.I learned the trick about 3 years ago from a guy that is a HARD CORE Honker hunter/Guide give it a try just dont let your wife,girlfriend,mom, catch you cutting off her vacumn cleaner hose!!! with the hose extension attached it takes some practice and sometimes some trimming but its worth the effort you cup the end of the hose the same way you would with the standard un-modified Big River and it takes some practice to get the notes right but once you do The call sounds outstanding.I looks very similar to an Elk call.

WEBBED FEET IN YOUR FACE

"The First Thing On, And the Last Thing Off.... Your Trigger Saftey"
Post #495937
 Posted 4/9/2004 12:41:15 AM

I hear where you are coming from on that one. I've had those days where everything seems right and then you get a flock coming your way only to blow them out using the wrong call. It's a learning experience, but one that I would not want to repeat in the field.

I think I'm going to take Perry up on his offer and if I don't like the call, it's going back. If it's good though, I'll be sure to put in the good word.

Post #496022
 Posted 4/9/2004 6:44:27 AM

M $100.00 isnt really that much money if you think about it,On those wierd days when the Honkers are everywhere but in your dekes if someone walked up to you and said: If You Give Me A $100.00 I Guarantee I will get you some Shots(I would say Geese but that is a marksman issue) at those Honkers would you take him up on his offer?I would. Or better yet if that Guy Said I will get geese close enough to shot at for the rest of the season,for say.....$130.00 would you? yeah I think so.Thats the way I think when it comes to waterfowl hunting,and buying the things I need ie decoys calls, gun, ammo, etc,because sometimes that Majic moment is at times is difficult to obtain and personelly,I want to have quailty to lean on ,If Rick Perry is offering that quarantee like I said before you have nothing to loose he must be pretty confident in his calls. But I will add 1 thing the Foiles call sounds about as good as calls get IMO, they are a little squirrley but thats because the call is EXTREMLY versitale,for the closer situations,But the calls does take alot of practice unlike the Big River,and you have to remind youself you are blowing 2 different calls in the heat of the moment! I have blown birds out, using the wrong call at the wrong time.
I am sure you have experienced the Taboo of hunting, at home everything works, looks,sounds perfect but when you get out in the field/water........ its almost like someone swapped your backpack,gun decoys etc and what can go wrong hunting will go wrong I dont know why but it happens, more frequently then not!!! But any little advantage helps and if Perry says the calls work go for it, you have the spring,summer,to practice with the call.And when all else fails you still have your Big River!

WEBBED FEET IN YOUR FACE

Post #496005
 Posted 4/10/2004 6:56:01 AM

M you dont have anything to loose let me know,
Thanks
Goose.
MCtwist,We use the vacum hose for a deeper sound, somehow I cant see a guy using one on the stage,the hose does work for the geese. Im not sure if it attracts Judges.

WEBBED FEET IN YOUR FACE

Post #496045
 Posted 4/10/2004 2:29:47 PM

I live about an hour from Cabelas and they don't carry Winglock calls. I called just to find out so I wouldn't waste a trip. As for the sportsmans shows and stuff...they don't have one around here until late summer in August. If I do get a new call, I want ample time to preactice and get used to it.

Post #496050