Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

14 weeks old and started water retrieves.

Posted 3/17/2012 8:22:40 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/2/2014 7:49:29 PM
Started out the morning with ground training with a goose wing.  I didn't go with the duck yet cause after pulling that mallard out of the freezer I thought it may be too heavy.  I double checked my Tom Dokken book and it suggests I dont bring out the whole bird till my pup is older.  He suggested feathers at this age so I went with a goose wing.  She really dug it.  Only did 2 short retrieves on the check cord then put the wing back in the freezer.  She was very amped up.  So I let her settle down by getting in her truck kennel (inside the truck), and going for a ride to scout birds.

I had her training bag in the truck in case something might work out.  We went to some different spots checking stuff out and then went over to this big water area.  There were a bunch of canada's out making all their racket and the air temp was about 65'f.  Water was cold but I had her on a check cord and didn't push anything just wanted to see her reaction to the water closeup.

Up to this point she hasn't been in big water.  I started her out in the tub with a couple inches of water when she was about 8 weeks, then a couple weeks of that slowly rising the water level until she was in a 1/2 full tub.  She did walk thru the creek a couple weeks ago and did well. 

Today I first tossed a little stick out a couple feet just to see if it peaked her interest and she bounded in for it.  Alright time to get her bumper and the camera.  She did 2 retrieves in about 4' of water then I put it all away with her bouncing around me as I walked back to the truck.  Here's a couple pics of her very first time swimming.  I feel like a proud poppa.

http://troys.smugmug.com/Other/New-Hunting-Pup/i-3rw2Z3K/0/M/031712-021-M.jpg

http://troys.smugmug.com/Other/New-Hunting-Pup/i-B28Fn3R/0/M/031712-022-M.jpg

http://troys.smugmug.com/Other/New-Hunting-Pup/i-bg9BXhr/0/M/031712-023-M.jpg

not the best camera man, I got my 13yo daughters leg in the shot on this one.

Here's her second retrieve.

http://troys.smugmug.com/Other/New-Hunting-Pup/i-RNdWTdw/0/M/031712-025-M.jpg

http://troys.smugmug.com/Other/New-Hunting-Pup/i-t9mGF66/0/M/031712-026-M.jpg

Now I have always enjoyed my pet dogs, but working with this water dog brings me joy like no other before....

Have a good day folks.

Troy

Post #767445
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 3/18/2012 1:00:24 PM

Last Login: 3/31/2014 11:06:10 AM
Keep 'em coming, Troy!

-God Bless
Post #767450
 Posted 3/19/2012 9:22:37 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:50:38 PM
your doing great !

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

Phil Robertson calls me for advice.
Post #767472
 Posted 4/9/2012 11:19:55 AM

Last Login: 3/5/2014 3:54:56 PM
Man that is great!  I took my 14 week old out to the lake for the first time this past weekend.  Up to this point it's only been baby pools.  She walked right around in the water and retrieve her bumper no issues.  Still not to sure about to the swimming after the bumper and I didn't bring any waders.  The PA water is still a little chilly.  Which is the the base line for the funny part of this story.  I didn't push her to swim retrieve being her first time to the lake it was mainly focus on her first boat ride and water play.  We get in the boat and take off and she's not to happy so we slow down and play while we're moving.  She get's comfortable so my buddy and I start fishing in order for her to get use to the boat movements.  Everything is going well then I look over and see a stick floating in the 32' feet of water.  I remembered the night I caught her watching the dog training video and her eyes amazed at the dog jumping out of the boat and running in shallow water after a bumper, ps she sat through the entire 45 minutes video.   Then it clicked but to late there she goes a chessy doing a butter-fly dive off the boat.  Completely under water a little head pops up and here she comes back.  I get her in the boat and she's not hacking or coughing up water.   At that point she begins to bark as if I was suppose to inform her the water was deep.  I begin to worry if she would be afraid of the water now but that last a whole 10 minutes as she took a second attempt at the stick - We're good!  I can't wait to see her going after bumpers like your pics - Congrads again!.
Post #767693
 Posted 4/9/2012 9:01:34 PM

Last Login: 3/2/2014 7:49:29 PM
Thats great Jeff.  Nothing like watching that first time swimming, pure joy for sure.  Im here in upstate NY and our water is COLD.. With that being said, my pup has been doing 3 water retrieves every saturday and sunday ever since her first swim, and she loves every time we show up at the water.

Troy

Post #767706