Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Layout Blind for Walk In Hunting

Posted 9/24/2013 5:39:02 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/22/2014 12:26:40 PM
Hi guys,

I'm considering changing my strategy this year. I hunt public land only and I have to schlep all of my gear in and out with me on foot. I'm considering switching to a layout blind, but I'd like one that works well for walk in ops. No tailgate drops or outboard props here fellas. Of course any commentary is welcome, but I'd specifically like to hear what blind you have actually hunted and what you think about it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Good luck and happy hunting,
Scott

Home of SM's Let's Go Dutch
Post #773933
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 9/24/2013 11:50:23 PM

Last Login: 6/30/2014 5:17:00 PM
Same boat as you. I own two that are frameless. That is the key. Not as roomy but framed blinds will be at least 14-18 lbs while your frame less blinds are about 10. I have the cabelas mobile 1 and avery power hunter. Perfect for walking a mile and and have ducks land at your feet well everyone else isnt having any luck. With the drought we have been in the past 2 seasons I wouldnt recommend any other way

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

"Wider chokes, thicker gumbos"
Post #773936
 Posted 9/25/2013 8:56:08 AM

I've been doing some research and so far the Cabela's Northern Flight Ultimate is the clear favorite on paper. I'm going to drop by the local store in the next week or two to put some hands on one and see if it'll suit my needs. I'll have to consider if it'll allow me to carry a dozen blocks, a gun, and a dog blind as well. I'll post the results of my visit on here after I go.

I'm still open to other ideas if anyone else has them.

Scott

Tags:

Edited: 9/25/2013 8:57:45 AM by Texas-Kayak-Qwack-Smacker
Post #773939
 Posted 9/25/2013 10:16:54 AM

Last Login: 11 hours ago
I have Avery Power hunters  ( 3 ) all the guys that hunt with me use them.  Easily hid even in short stubble and light enough to pack in longer distances.  I don't know if I would want to pack one in a mile with dekes etc.  You will have to pair down weight somewhere.  The only thing I don't like about them for ducks is the cover restricts your view enough so I miss opportunities on them(ducks) occasionally.  I like the Finisher there because of the unrestricted view(too heavy and bulky for you to pack in) With geese its not an issue cause you can usually hear them coming,  I still peak a lot though.   Good luck  Joe
Post #773942
 Posted 10/15/2013 9:11:38 PM

Last Login: 3/2/2014 7:49:29 PM
Scott, not sure of the terrain you gotta cover in your trek but have you considered one of those two wheeled folding carts that folks haul out deer with?  
In the service we had a saying when deciding what not to pack "Ounces equals pounds, and pounds equals pain". 
Thats why I thought about the deer hauler carts for hunting. Cabelas has one in their catalog and Ive considered the idea when thinking of hauling gear in on foot.  I was thinking of takin my framed layout blind and putting my dekes and gear bag inside it, then wheeling it across the fields on properties where we can't drive in to setup.  It looks like it folds in half, so it could be hidden in a hedgerow or similar place to hide it when hunting.  
Just a thought.

Troy

Post #774324
 Posted 10/17/2013 5:53:16 PM

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:31:38 PM
this is when duck hunting gets to be ridiculous.  Too much gear on a long walk in/out can make for a miserable time.  I've done it several times.  If its absolutely necessary, you definitely want to go with the lightest blind you can find.  I've used the Avery Powerhunter for this occasion several times, and it seems to be the best option as far as price goes. 

The deer cart idea is a great thought, one I've considered several times, just never have taken the time to do it.  I think in the long run, you'll be happier spending more money and purchasing one of those things, rather than packing in a blind, decoys, dog blind, gun, shells, and whatever else is in your game bag. 

Alex  
Post #774362
 Posted 10/17/2013 6:31:00 PM

Last Login: 5 minutes ago
I have several power hunters and they are perfect.  light, with very low profile.  

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #774364
 Posted 10/19/2013 5:19:22 PM

Last Login: 6/30/2014 5:17:00 PM
you dont want the ultimate. 18 pound blind that folds up like crap and depending on which yr model yours is might only have 1 strap. same design as the elite and my buddy is 6'5" and he hates it. Hits the back of his legs the whole time. If your walking far you want frameless. Not as much room but super light weight

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

"Wider chokes, thicker gumbos"
Post #774394
 Posted 12/29/2013 6:19:36 PM

Alex Hilburn (10/17/2013)
this is when duck hunting gets to be ridiculous.  Too much gear on a long walk in/out can make for a miserable time.

Unfortunately this is the world I hunt in. Water levels are very low in N.Texas and, without a boat, we are often relegated to hunting patches of shoreline with only knee high grass for cover. We can assemble brush blinds from dead wood and grass on site, but for all of that effort, you may as well pack in something with a much lower profile. I still have to pack in decoys, folding stool, a machete, some form of concealment for the dog, shells, etc. You can see where this all goes. Eliminating the decoy sack, stool, and construction/demolition equipment sort of counterbalances the weight of the blind (assuming you can also use it as a pack).

I did buy a cart. Should have just bought a blind. The darned thing weighs a ton and doesn't balance a load well at all. It seems that the handle end is too short and the load won't leverage properly without me having to drag it with my hands a knee level. This is, of course, to say nothing about what happens when the narrow wheels and heavy cart hit a patch of soft soil or mud. I tried several configurations. No dice. I have determined that this approach is not the solution for me.

Upon consideration, I believe I agree that the Ultimate is too heavy and bulky. I'll look into the other suggestions provided. In the mean time, I found something  interesting. The Hardcore Run-and Gunner may be the answer to my problem. Light, simple, performs double duty as a decoy sack and blind. It doesn't look too long on comfort, but it looks like it fits the bill as a walk in hunter's solution to the above listed problems.

Scott

Post #775274