Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Patternmaster Chokes

Posted 12/5/2013 4:03:18 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/19/2013 4:31:10 PM
I bought a shotgun from a buddy of mine and it has a patternmater in it.  I dont know the first thing about these chokes.  How do I tell if it is a full or anything about these chokes?
Post #775039
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/14/2013 6:26:34 PM

Last Login: 12/27/2013 4:21:13 PM
Should be marked somewhere on it , full, Er- extended range, Lg - long range, Mod - modified ect...
Post #775155
 Posted 12/17/2013 10:49:40 AM

Last Login: 12/19/2013 4:31:10 PM
I've been looking at it and cant find any markings on it that would show what it is. 
Post #775172
 Posted 12/17/2013 5:46:27 PM

Last Login: 6 hours ago
Looking inside the choke tube do you see any ears, or little bumps, something like that?  If so, that is a wad-stripper design which is intended to retard the shotcup/wad so that the shot exits the end of the choke just before the wad.  Effective choke is Full.  I owned one for 6-7 years and used it on a Remington 870 before I handed it to my hunting buddy and he uses it on his 870.  I can't quote any percentages, but it always shot tight.  Newer Patternmaster chokes I know nothing about.  I bought mine around 2002-3.  Hope that helps.
Post #775179
 Posted 1/1/2014 5:05:40 PM

Last Login: 1/1/2014 6:10:56 PM
You can always pull out a set of calipers and measure.  Go to PatternMasters website and try to match.  If you can't match on website, then call customer service.  Their customer service is really good.  I had questions about my Anaconda and they took care of me very quick.

One other thing... If you own a traditional PatternMaster and not the BlackCloud or Anaconda, then you can't shoot any type of special wad design shells, aka BlackCloud, BlindSide, etc...  You must stick with traditional wad designs that open in the front and not the back, so the rings may slow the wad for a millisecond to release the shot.  Anything over 1550fps is also not recommended for any of the PattternMaster chokes.  The shot cup will be moving too fast for the rings or studs to actually grab onto the shot cup, therefore making your 90 dollar choke useless.

Definitely go out and buy 4-6 different manufacturers, shot sizes (BB-4or6), and different loads 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 3/8, etc... Then pattern each of those loads.  Find a couple you like on paper and then head to the skeet range.  PatternMaster chokes are different at first.  You will probably shoot bad for the first round or two.  Don't get discouraged and think the choke is garbage.  You will learn quickly how much this choke affects your shot string.  It definitely reduces the shot string and I find that I don't have to lead the target (clay or duck/goose) nearly as much.  Takes some getting used too.

If you hit a target with the PatternMaster, it hits it HARD!  I have an Anaconda that I hunt with in Timber and I also use a Carlson's Mid Range for more open water.  Both are good chokes, but different in their own right.  Have fun!!!
Post #775294
 Posted 1/2/2014 12:13:41 PM

Last Login: 6/30/2014 5:17:00 PM
patternmaster arent classified as choke tubes since they dont contrisct any shot. They have a stud ring which change what kind of pattern you use. They have a short range long range and extended range which are probably the most common they sell in stores. I bet money its the long range which will give you full pattern with 3 inch shells and a modified pattern with 3 1/2. In my mind I've shot the briley's and kicks and theyre good but because the stud ring in patternmaster your shot hits all at once. You have maybe a 3 foot shot string and that makes all the difference. Its a either a clean hit or miss.

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

"Wider chokes, thicker gumbos"
Post #775300